Game Projects

This is really just a quick update on a few game projects I’ve been working on.

I have posted a few times about my tuck boxes.  Well, since I have started playing Sails of Glory, I have been interested in upgrading some of the components of that game.  Now, I could easily just buy upgraded components, but where would be the fun in that.  I decided to try and make them myself.

The first step was to try and figure out what material to use.  I had originally decided to work in balsa since it is a light wood and could probably be cut with a utility knife easier.  However, someone had suggested that I use basswood instead.  It is a bit heavier than balsa, and thus a bit stronger.  I was off to my local craft store to pick up a few large pieces to work with, along with a smaller bag of various pieces as well.

So, my first attempt did not go all that well.  The piece I picked was a bit thicker than I had intended, and cutting it with the utility knife proved difficult.  Thus, Sunday, I went to my friendly local game shop (which is connected to a larger hobby shop) to pick up a few tools.

2014-07-21 01.41.52 (2)Once I got home from gaming, I made my next attempt.  And, I was surprised to find it actually did not go all that bad.  Naturally, since I can’t do anything easy, I had picked the game’s attitude indicator as my first attempt at component creation.  Carefully I traced the shapes on the basswood, then cut them out.  The octagonal base was easy.  I just used a hobby saw to cut the shape out since it was all straight edges.  The pointer, however, was a different matter.  Because of the curves, I has to use a different saw (picked up at the hobby shop).  And while I think they could be better, I would say I did okay for a first attempt.  Now, all I need is some stain or paint and to glue it together

2014-07-22 00.40.49I also tried my hand at a range ruler.  in spite of the simple design, it proved a bit more difficult than the attitude indicator.  The longer cut needed for this piece proved to be a bit trickier than the smaller cuts of the octagon base.  In addition, I needed to make sure that this was truly matching in size since the ruler is used to determine to many things in the game.  Carefully I cut the piece, then lined it up with the original so that I can mark the various ranges on the ruler.  This had to be done front and back.

Some quick coloring and line accents with sharpies managed to bring it together.  I would not say it is perfect, but it is certainly not all that bad considering it is really my first attempt at something of this nature.

Advertisements

About chyrondave

Avid comic reader, amateur writer, music fan, and someone with opinions, lots of opinions.

Posted on July 22, 2014, in Games, Media and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: