Worst 5 of 2012 – Movies
When I was trying to build my Best of list… and failed miserably to find 5 movies I would count as “best of 2012″ I realized that there were far more movies that were, let’s face it, really not good.
Thus, I present my worst 5 of 2012 for movies. Most of these I have seen on DVD, and most I have regretted doing so.
- John Carter – There were so many problems with this movie. First was the title, John Carter. Not John Carter of Mars, which would have been much more marketable, especially since there was no real secret as to where he was ending up. Calling it John Carter seemed like it was going to be a movie version of starring Noah Wylie (look it up, I’m not going to do all the work here). The title could have been overlooked if not for the fact that it was just a horrible movie. Bad acting, bad script, bad effects, it’s all just bad.
- Piranha 3DD – The remake of Piranha was not great, which is really saying something considering that the original was not a winner either. But this… I almost wished I was eaten by one of the prehistoric mutant fish just to end the pain. The most this movie was able to do is expose the fact that I really don’t know how to spell piranha without looking it up every single time I type it (and yes, I had to look it up to type that, too).
- Hunger Games – This is the selection that is going to have me on a number of hate mail lists, but I’m sorry, I did not like this movie. I can’t even argue that I was not in an accepting frame of mind when I saw it, I really just did not like it, which is a shame since I did like the book. I just found Jennifer Lawrence’s acting flat, and I just could not get myself to care about the characters in the movie.
- Wrath of the Titans – I liked the original movie, and I even sort of kind of liked the remake. This one, though, just seemed like an unnecessary sequel to a movie that I did not think did enough box office draw to merit a sequel. In that sense, this movie is the Young Guns 2 of the sword and sandals set.
- Underworld: Awakening – After taking the third movie off, Selene is back in this quasi-futuristic but not really so don’t try to pin it down sequel to the original Underworld movie. It’s weird, but I really loved the first movie, and would recommend it to other people who want a vampire vs werewolf movie that does not involve sparkly vampires. But, I also but the second movie on my worst 10 in the last 10 list. Sadly, after the third movie, which I also found yawnable, this fourth one does not seem to redeem the series.
- Repeat Offenders: Most Unwelcome Movie Sequels of 2012 (rr.com)
- The 25 Worst Movies of 2012 (complex.com)
- Blog: Best/Worst of 2012 (fox4kc.com)
Posted on December 28, 2012, in Lists, Media, Movies, Opinion, Personal, The Fives and tagged Hunger Games, John Carter, lists, media, movies, Opinion, personal, Piranha 3DD, the fives, Underworld: Awakening, Wrath of the Titans. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a Comment.