Why I Don’t Take Vacation
The very word brings sensations of relaxation to many people. Vacation is something for most people to look forward to. It is a break from school, work, whatever, that most people need to take, if only for a couple of days.
Everyone except me.
As you probably have gathered, I do not take vacation. In fact, I don’t think I have taken any vacation for the last few years. It is a puzzlement to some how anyone can skip vacation, even more so when you think that most people take a vacation to keep from going nuts. To be honest, I have thought about it a couple of times, but never really much more than that. there always seems to be a lot of things standing in my way.
- Where Would I Go? – The best vacations are the ones where you get away from everything: work, home, whatever. Keeping that in mind, where exactly would I go on vacation? I don’t fly, and a lot of places just take too long to get to if you drive or take the train. Most importantly, I don’t fly. I know I’ve said it before, but it bears repeating. So much so that I am going to do it again: I DON’T FLY! Given that my range of travel seems a bit limited by that, where would I go that I can’t do on a normal weekend?
- Who Would I Go With? – Call me crazy (I know I have a few times in the last week alone), but I hate going to places on my own. Well, except the movies. I have no problem going to the movies on my own. Beyond that, I always feel weird when I go to places alone. This includes even the most mundane trips like going to a bar to meet someone (ironic, huh?). Going on a vacation somewhere would seem like the longest awkward solo trip to a bar I have ever taken.
- But I Don’t Want To Stay At Home – I could spend a vacation at home doing nothing, but why? It seems like such an unproductive waste of time. Besides, I already spend enough time at home, it’s called my weekend.
- Someone’s Getting Inconvenienced - Even if I did decide to stay home, or even (shudder) fly somewhere on my own, there are other people to consider. I do not exactly have the type of job where I can drop everything and take off without a worry. Someone would need to take my place. More importantly, someone would have to take my place by working an odd shift that would entail making them work on their weekend. Why should I fudge up someone else’s downtime like that. It’s not just inconsiderate, it’s downright rude.
- I Really Don’t Care If I Take Vacation – I can give reason after reason why I won’t take a vacation, but the first and foremost reason will always be I really just don’t care if I do take a vacation.
So, I could do any of these things, which would prove unrestful, thus defeating the whole purpose of the vacation, or I can just skip the vacation and continue doing what I’m doing.
I think I’ll just keep doing what I’m doing.