100 Books in 366 Days – February Update
In spite of being the shortest month of the year (even with leap year), it was a highly productive month for my reading goal of 100 books in 366 days. Granted, this was bolstered by a number of shorter titles, but short titles seemed appropriate for a short month. As of February 29, by current book count is at 33 books.
I have to say that there was a broad range of subjects represented this month. Normally, I tend to shy away from Westerns. I guess I’d rather watch a Western on TV than read one. Still, The Outlaw Josey Wales Was not a bad book, it just was not one that seemed to really hold my interest.
Spring Heeled Jack represented my first real foray into Penny Dreadfuls. I found is entertaining and a quick read, and I could see why such literature (and I am using the term loosely here) was popular in the 19th century.
The biggest disappointments this month were Hunt Among the Killers of Men and The Lost Continent. The former is a part of the Gabriel Hunt series. While the series is by no means high literature (I myself have called it the literary equivalent of Pixie Stix), this one, the fifth of the series, just did not do anything for me. Likewise, Burroughs’ The Lost Continent read a lot like the author’s other “lost realms” stories.
The two most interesting books read this month were The Angel Maker and Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse. Stefan Brijs manages to craft an eerie tale that makes you wonder what exactly is going on with the three boys who are the focus of the story, and a growing creepiness as you learn more and more about them and their father. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse reads like the novelization of a Quentin Tarantino or Robert Rodriguez grindhouse tribute. Personally, given my preferences, I lean more towards Rodriguez, since I saw quite a bit of Planet Terror in this book.
The February Book List
- The Angel Maker- Stefan Brijs
- Hunt Among the Killers of Men – Gabriel Hunt
- Source of Magic – Piers Anthony
- The Outlaw Josey Wales – Forrest Carter
- Are You Kidding Me? – Harry Bright & Jakob Anser
- Awful First Dates: Hysterical, True, and Heartbreakingly Bad – Sarah Wexler
- Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Sausages – Tom Holt
- Steppe – Piers Anthony
- King Solomon’s Mines – H. Rider Haggard
- Doctor Who: Galaxy Four – William Emms
- The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: War of the Worlds – Manly Wade Wellman & Wade Wellman
- Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse – Victor Gischler
- The Lost Continent – Edgar Rice Burroughs
- Spring Heeled Jack: The Terror of London – Anonymous
- The Batman Handbook: The Ultimate Training Manual – Scott Beatty
- The Little Book of Conspiracies: A Paranoiac’s Pocket Guide – Joel Levy
- The Book of Books – Les Krantz and Tim Knight