If I Were in Charge of Marvel
I did something like this with DC on another blog, and thought that it was about time I were to play out what I would do if I were put in charge of Marvel Comics.
1) Begin a major Marvel Universe wide crossover – Pulling in the best creators Marvel has on staff, I would get the ball rolling on what would be a gigantic in nature, and would tie into the second of my plans for Marvel.
2) Full scale reboot of the Marvel Universe – The Marvel Universe is has 40 plus years of history, and, frankly, it is getting a bit bloated. And with certain characters tied into specific historical events (Nick Fury with World War 2, Punisher with Vietnam, etc), it gets harder and harder to accept the “time moves slower” concept that has been adhered to. The Ultimate Universe was a good first step towards a reboot, but Marvel was reluctant to let it actually become the new Marvel Universe.
3) Two year moritorium on event crossovers after reboot – A concept like a whole new universe needs time to breathe, to establish itself in the eyes of the readers. The last thing they need is to be thrown into a major event when they are still getting the feel of the new status quo.
4) An anthology series – Like the classic Marvel Comics Presents, this new anthology series will feature one long story arc, one or two shorter story arcs, and a one shot story. The only criteria I would place on the series is that none of the story arcs can feature a character that has their own series.
5) Creator push – Marvel should not only be working with established creators, but seeking out new creators with new ideas to bring into the new Marvel Universe. Part of that plan is to give creators incentive to allow their creations to become part of the Marvel Universe, probably through some sort of royalty plan that will allow the creators to still receive compensation even when they are no longer working on their creations.
6) Explore the new media – DC’s making a push with the same day digital release. Marvel needs to do the same, and further. The web based motion comics are a good start, but Marvel can push further by exploring the possibility of on-line dramatic podcasts (like the classic radio shows) and a digital version of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe app, which will collect character information online in an updateable format.